Monday, September 03, 2012

Book Review ** The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck


I really enjoyed reading The Scent of Rain by Kristin Billerbeck. It is light reading but keeps you in enough suspense that you want to keep reading to find out what will happen next.

What’s worse than showing up for your wedding and the groom is a no-show? How about losing your sense of smell when you’re a professional nose! Daphne Sweeten left her dream job in a Paris perfumery to get married because there were no available jobs for her fiancĂ©, Mark Goodsmith, in Paris. After their wedding, Mark and Daphne were to start new jobs at a company in Dayton, OH. When Mark is a no-show at the wedding, Daphne’s best friend, Shopie, whisks her away in the limo and tries to comfort her. All Daphne wants is to get back the cologne samples that she created for the wedding and send one to her old boss in Paris.

Jesse Lightner, Daphne’s new boss, is a widower with a young son. His biggest regret is that he was so busy at work; he didn’t recognize the signs that his wife was going through postpartum depression and that she died from an allergic reaction to an ingredient in a sleeping pill that she took. Jesse is already struggling in his department and the last thing he wants is a professional nose on the payroll.

Daphne starts her new job and does her best to rely on her chemistry background to compensate for the loss of her sense of smell and agrees to stay on for six months. Jesse realizes that something is very wrong, when she makes no comment about the sour milk smell in his car or the smell of gas in her new house. A reminder of not being able to help his wife makes him go back to Daphne’s house just in time. He finds her unconscious from the gas fumes and gets help for her, but because she wasn’t truthful about loss of smell, he fires her. Can Jesse rebuild his trust in Daphne? What will happen when Daphne finds out that her ex-fiancĂ© has her old job back in Paris? Will Jesse and Daphne realize that they are perfect for each other?

I received this book free from Thomas Nelson through the BookSneeze® book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255.


1 comments:

jemilyea said...

Haven't read this one yet; I don't remember if I ordered it at the library or not. Must check.